Monday, May 5, 2014

Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You": Day 1




As Mother's Day approaches, and I thought about what I can do to show gratitude toward my mom, I reflected on how things I have learned from her influence me everyday.  In response, here is day one of "Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 1 - Thank you, Mom for instilling that can do, hands-on, power to create.




As a little girl, my mom made me lots of clothes, which she often let me edit with her. We'd shop around in department stores, talk about the ones we liked, and then she'd recreate our own version of them for about 1/3 the price to perfectly fit me. Sometimes there was even a custom bow to match. In retrospect, I love that this was not simply my mom forcing me into a dress she made, but us collaborating on a dress for me. She'd often make her own patterns out of freezer paper or wax paper if needed. She always had the attitude, "We can make that,"- never intimidated and never afraid of failure or being hand-ons. Mistakes were always creative opportunities. This applied to most any craft project or school project. She taught me all her fundamentals of sewing and gave me a new respect for quality and craftsmanship. She even nabbed me an old dress form from the late 50's to work on. It is the one I learned to drape on, still my favorite, and the one I use to this day.

Learning to create with my hands empowered me and made me approach the world in a different way. It is my world now and I'm not looking back.

Thanks Mom! Love You!


-Erin

http://www.erinelsie.com
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer


*Readers, thanks for taking the time to share in my creative journey*





Follow on Bloglovin








No comments:

Post a Comment