Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You": Day 2



                     
                              

As Mother's Day approaches, and I thought about what I can do to show gratitude toward my mom, I reflected on how things I have learned from her influence me everyday.  In response, here is day two of "Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 - Thank you, Mom for sharing the joy of cooking...and eating!

 It's certainly a fact that being from South Louisiana and loving great food go hand in hand. I'm lucky to be from a family that truly epitomizes this. They love to eat, and more importantly know how to cook. My brothers and I all enjoy cooking and it's no doubt something we got from our mom. Weeknights there were always home-cooked meals and Sundays were filled with big lunches. Eating my mom's food is truly one of the highlights of going home to visit. Food at home is never overly fancy or pretentious, but comforting and full of flavor. Stews are one of my favorite comfort foods and my mom's Chicken stew in particular. White beans and rice are something that's hard to explain to those that have never had them in south Louisiana, but done right they are so delicious and the perfect compliment to fried seafood. My mom's are the best...and how about a crispy fried egg...yum!

Many people think that most New Yorkers don't cook, but I certainly do. Daily, I work with my hands and when I need a break from my design work, cooking is a sort of therapy. To me, it is relaxing, creative way to work with my hands and comfort the soul after a long day (or night). I try to replicate some of my mom's food here, but some dishes I still must wait until  I visit home to get my fix!


One of mom and dad's best collaborations, fried fish and shrimp with white beans!

Crispy Fried Egg :)

Big Pot of Stew! My version, it's getting better with time...

...and always on rice.


Thanks Mom!

xo,
-Erin

http://www.erinelsie.com
Follow me on Instagram: erin_e_blank

*Readers, thanks for taking the time to share in my creative journey*

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment