Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You": Day 3




As Mother's Day approaches, and I thought about what I can do to show gratitude toward my mom, I reflected on how things I have learned from her influence me everyday.  Here is day 3 of "Dear Mom, 7 Days of "Thank You."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3 - Thank you, Mom for the confidence to live without limits. 

Even in 2014, it can still sometimes feel like you are a girl in a man's world, but my mom never made it feel that way for me - I feel empowered and have my mom to thank. 


 Fishing is one of my family's favorite past times, and we ladies do not disappoint. We all knew if mom was in the boat, she'll probably catch the the biggest fish- and the most. One day I could be playing dress up in her old party dresses with way too much blue eyeshadow on,  another I could be covered in mud- and she was okay with that. She was very much a tomboy child herself. I spent lots of time sewing, but also playing sports outside with my brothers. 

Family Fishing! 


Flag Football, fun times!
She never discouraged me on the things I wanted to try. When it came time to pick a major for college, she help me discover and decide on Fashion Merchandising and Consumer Studies, and never made me feel less "smart" because I wanted to get into fashion instead of engineering. I could be a lady, as well as strong and smart. When I decided to move to New York on my own, despite her obvious motherly concern- she said, "Go for it!" and that she always knew I would end up here. When I quit my corporate job to work freelance jobs in order to to focus on my own designs; she again, supported me and has never discouraged my crazy dreams.
 I never felt like I had to fit into a stereotype and I think that helped develop confidence in the person I am and in my abilities without comparing them to others. As I forge my own path, confidence is key. Believe in yourself, and live without limits.  

Happy Wednesday!


xo,
-Erin
http://www.erinelsie.com
Follow me on Instagram: erin_e_blank

*Readers, thanks for taking the time to share in my creative journey*

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment