Monday, May 19, 2014

1 Men's Shirt = 2 Chic Pieces


1 Men's Shirt = 2 Chic Pieces


Inspiration and ideas can truly come from anywhere and I am usually always taken with a great print. I was delighted to find this subtle, deep, and beautifully printed Men's Hawaiian shirt in a thrift store, perfectly suited for soft and easy summer pieces. Luckily it was a very large shirt, and the fabric quality was very well preserved. I am so happy with the end results- 2 lovely pieces that have given knew life to this awesome fabric from this once discarded shirt. My process goes way beyond just making a garment. Here, I'm just sharing a small glimpse behind the scenes of this particular project. 


1. Let the fabric speak to me

2. I always thoroughly wash my materials. That can be quite the task when you live in NYC in a 5 floor walk-up and your laundry is in the basement, but it's always a good workout! 


 3.If I'm working with a thrifted garment, once I have a general idea of what I want to make, I strategically take the item apart. It's also a neat way to sometimes analyze and learn new construction techniques. 




4. Draping and pinning my design together; this is the stage that the design changes the most and is truly the most fun and creative part for me. It's where everything starts to take shape and become an actual garment.  

5. Sew all the pieces together. Sometimes stressful, sometimes therapeutic, and a skill that I always try to perfect. 

6. Hand-finishing- this is what I believe distinguishes a well made garment from the rest. True craftsmanship and quality are important to me. 


 Blue-Green Midnight Tropics Sundress
 

 Blue-Green Midnight Tropics Sundress


                              Thanks for following along on this creative journey! 

Be Well!

xo
 Erin 
http://www.erinelsie.com
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment