Friday, April 4, 2014

Sentiment and Souvenirs


Happy Friday!

So when you live in a very small space, and you are inherently someone who does not like to get rid of things, editing the new stuff you bring into your space becomes very important. Although it's taken over 3 years, I am getting better at it, just don't look in my closet- hehe. In my tiny apartment, I want to be surrounded by those items that have meaning to me. 

When I travel, I feel like one of my languages is fabric- it's how I connect to the people and culture of the place I'm in and it's usually the only souvenir I'll purchase. A while back, my fiance came up with the great idea of using fabric from our travels to make throw pillows for our sofa. It gets him involved when I'm hunting for fabric on trips and keeps us surrounded by our fun travel memories. It also keeps our place tchotchke free.

Almost a year after our Columbia trip, I finally got around to making our pillow. You can read more about that trip here: http://erinelsie.blogspot.com/2013/06/cartagena-mania.html . I had found these beautiful hand printed/ batiked wraps. 



 Our eclectic pillows: our Columbia and Hawaii pillows added to his Morocco pillow.  
(You can read more about the Hawaii fabric here: http://erinelsie.blogspot.com/2012/08/small-island-big-inspiration.html )


Also, speaking of sentimental projects- I recently did a custom tee-shirt blanket for a customer to give to her daughter who is about to graduate college. It was special to be handed the responsibility of preserving these memories and more special that she loved the final result. If you have sentimental tee shirts that you perhaps no longer wear but don't want to discard, tee-shirt blankets are an awesome solution. They are so cozy and even better you can just throw them in the washing machine like any old tee shirt! 

So colorful and cozy :)


Alright friends, thanks for taking a little time out with me- back to work I go!

Have a happy weekend!

 xo
Erin
http://www.erinelsie.com
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer


No comments:

Post a Comment