Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tales from the road & What I'm working on now...


Greetings!

A lot has been going on around here; A visit/ road trip with my parents, a road trip for freelance work, and new design projects that I am very excited about are piling up in the workshop. Although I really love NYC,  sometimes the best thing about it is being able to leave it for a couple days! Within a couple of hours by train or car you can reach some truly beautiful nature and historic places. Here are some of the highlights with a little picture journal below. 


Exploring my own Brooklyn
A few days before the Memorial Day weekend, my parents are flew in from Louisiana for a visit. As they have already hit a lot of the more known, traditional tourists spots, they decided to stay in Brooklyn in an apartment a few blocks from me. It was great to spend some low-key, quality time with them and share a little of what my actual life here is like. 


My dear Dad on my block.

One of the unique tourist days we did do right here in Brooklyn was exploring the 175 year old historical gem of Greenwood cemetery. I live about a ten minute drive from it and can't believe I hadn't checked it out yet! I little excerpt from their website below:


Everybody loves a great story, and Brooklyn’s Green-Wood Cemetery has many of New York’s great stories to tell. Everyone who was anybody in 19th-century New York wanted to be buried there, and they were. As The New York Times succinctly put it it 1866, “It is the ambition of the New Yorker to live upon Fifth Avenue, to take his airings in the [Central] Park, and to sleep with his fathers in Green-Wood.”


Green-Wood is 478 spectacular acres of hills, valleys, glacial ponds and paths, throughout which exists one of the largest outdoor collections of 19th- and 20th-century statuary and mausoleums. It's popularity helped inspire the creation of public parks, including New York City’s Central and Prospect Parks.

(courtesy of http://www.green-wood.com/about-history/ )


Mom, trying to capture some foliage.


Dad, tinkering with something and a beautiful old tree. 

"Green-Wood is a Revolutionary War historic site (the Battle of Long Island was fought in 1776 across what is now its grounds), a designated site on the Civil War Discovery Trail."
The Altar To Liberty, with Minerva (Roman Goddess of Battle)  was placed on the highest natural point in Brooklyn, also known as Battle Hill. She is in that spot to commemorate the Battle of Brooklyn, the first battle of the American Revolution after the Declaration of Independence was issued. From this point  you can see views of lower New York Harbor, New Jersey, the tip of Manhattan, and mid-town Manhattan.. With her arm upraised, she is saluting her sister, the Statue of Liberty, in the harbor.   



Mystic, CT
After completing our little tour of Brooklyn, which also included Coney Island and Rockaway, we headed to Mystic, CT for the Memorial Day weekend. Mystic is a quintessential New England cozy, boating town and was the perfect place to get away with my parents. They haven't yet experienced much of the New England area so this was a great intro for them. 


Our cozy and Historic Mystic Rental House for the weekend. The location was superb and our stay here was lovely.  Here's a link for more info: 1839 House


Spotted on one of our strolls, this made me smile!

Treasure hunting for myself or for sewing materials is one of my favorite things to do on a road trip, and Pennywise was a great discovery. For more info click here

I didn't buy anything this time, but it will certainly be on my list of for the future! 

There are many great spots to eat in Mystic, but the standout for this trip was the Captain Daniel Packer Inne, a historic 250 year old pub and restaurant. 


Ahh, Mystic Views...so serene. Other highlights were getting together with my future in-laws for more good times and good food. Hopefully my parents enjoyed their time here, as I sure enjoyed mine. 

Hudson, NY Area
My next adventure was about 2 hours outside of NYC in a different direction to the Hudson, NY area. I went along on this trip to assist my guy on a photo job for the Camphill Foundation. I am grateful that my freelance work can expose me to so many beautiful and diverse locations and people. Camphill Communities are unique and vibrant life-sharing communities of individuals, including adults with developmental disabilities. These communities bring together coworkers (long and short-term service volunteers) and individuals with developmental disabilities in therapeutic communities that foster mutual respect and human dignity.

There are Camphill communities all over the world, we just visited a few in the Hudson area. 

A beautiful spot while touring their Copake, NY location.


The disabled residents of Camphill communities make meaningful and useful products that they sell at their gift shops. I was lucky to shop at 2 of their stores and was so impressed by the artistry. Lots of woven items, candles, healing teas and oils, wooden toys, and on and on... 
Their downtown Hudson location

Picked up some items that I'm not going to share as they are Holiday Gifts ;)

I had a little time to check out more downtown shopping. Downtown Hudson has so many great shops, especially vintage ones, but my favorite was Antigo. 

My happy, treasure hunting place!


I did manage to pickup a couple of great finds. This great fabric chunk to contribute to my Kimono project...

...and this awesome clutch and statement necklace. I love picking up clutches from vintage/thrift stores. It's a less expensive way to find something unique with tons of character. This leather clutch was in perfect condition and the optional chain makes it perfect for keeping track of your bag on a New York night out. 

My super vintage finds and a lovely sunset were the perfect ending to my second road trip!



What I'm working on now...

Now I'm back to work in the studio, working on a collection of one-of-a kind, soft Kimono Jackets. I have been scouring everywhere for unique fabric in beautiful colors and prints and my pile is growing. This is the hardest and most fun part! 


A little sneak preview below and stay tuned for more updates on this collection!




Hope you are all having a great week and as always, many thanks for following along on this creative journey! 

Be Well!
xo
 Erin 
http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer



Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment