Monday, June 30, 2014

Silk printed shorts - My easy DIY thrift store conversion!




Happy Monday Folks!

I was so excited about my recent thrift store conversion, a little project I did just for myself, that I wanted to share it with you all! In one of my past thrift store material hunts, I had picked up some printed silk shorts for about $5. The original pair were drawstring, with a very awkward length. I knew with just the right tweak, these could be some of my favorite shorts of the summer. 

Below a glimpse of the original pair. This print on long, dated shorts would be a bit overwhelming on any figure.  

I've been loving the trend of soft and easy printed shorts for summer. You can dress them up or down, they travel super easily, and they keep you cool on hot days. Mine are real washed silk - natural fibers breathe so much better than all of the many poly blends out there. That's one of my favorite things about treasure hunting in a thrift store - finding great quality fabric inexpensively.  
 This image courtesy of www.thefashionhive.com .

The Project

Step 1. I think short lengths in bold prints are all about proportion and you should find the one that works best for your body. Also, if your someone who is a little self conscious about wearing shorts, these are a great trend. They are not form fitting and I love that. I created a slightly curved cuff that worked best on me and pinned it in place. These is probably the step that takes the longest and might be easier if you have a friend helping you pin them. 

Step 2. I top-stiched this cuff down. I usually like to hand sew hems, but for these the sturdiness of the machine stitching worked better to create the shape I wanted with this soft silk. I then gave the finished hem a light tap with an iron and...   



Voila!



 



I hope you had a great weekend and find a little crafty inspiration with this easy DIY project idea. Many thanks for following along! 

Have a great week!
xo
 Erin 
http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer


Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment