Monday, June 16, 2014

An infectiously happy print , my quick Saturday morning project.




 This past Saturday morning I was able to sleep in, rejuvenate, and unplug from the world a bit. I spent some time with my much neglected pile of "personal projects." These are projects that I set aside with good intention to at some point make for myself. At the top of my pile was this dated (and dated in a bad way) 80's dress with shoulder pads that I picked up inexpensively at a thrift store. I was drawn to it for it's beautifully bold print, and the soft ease of the fabric. In the warm summer months, I go for easy and comfy pieces, swathed in summery bright prints. 
The original piece

My quick idea to upcycle this particular dress was inspired by this Instagram photo of Karlie Kloss in this piece from the Reformation, http://thereformation.com/. It can be a little intimidating to cover your body in a bold print, so I love how this print is being broken into 2 pieces with just a little peek of skin. 

I also love that "crop tops" have emerged in a major way this year, but in a classy way - much like those of the 60's and 70's. Below is a vintage 60's pattern image I've been loving as inspiration for some of my summer pieces. Courtesy of Pinterest 


The Project

Step 1. Cut the dress into it's 2 parts. The dress had button closures all down the back, making it work especially well for turning it into 2 pieces. 

Step 2. Remove the shoulder pads. I wanted this top to be soft and simple for hot summer weather and the shoulder pads needed to go! 


Step 3. Refinish the top of the skirt and the bottom of the top by adding a hem stitch. I also gathered the front in the center a little to add some shape to it. This helped achieve the proportion I wanted.    

I think crop tops and bold prints are all about proportion and you should find the one that works best for your body. For this look, the higher waist of the skirt looks better on me. Also, if I'm showing a little tummy, I look to keep the rest of the top more covered. 

 

This was such a quick and easy project that even you basic seamstresses and seamsters out there can do. Not a bad look for an inexpensive thrift store find and a Saturday morning! 

I think there's something infectious about a beautiful bold print! As I took my new 2 piece look out for a spin on Saturday afternoon - it was warmly received with smiles and compliments. It is a simple thing, but your clothes should make you happy and feel comfortable in your own skin! I like to live in color :)

Also, a shout out to my awesome Dad. I wish I could have celebrated Father's day with him. He really sets a standard of what a loving and supportive dad should be and I feel like a lucky gal to have him in my life. 

I hope your week is off to a great start. Many thanks for following reading along! 

Happy Monday!
xo
 Erin 
http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment