Thursday, June 25, 2015

Hot Summer Nights! A Simple Upcycling Project with High Impact Results.

Hot Summer Nights! A Simple Upcycling Project with High Impact Results. 


Greetings!

It is officially summer now, and it certainly is feeling like it here in NYC. With temperatures rising and summer events filling up my calendar, I took some time to do a quick upcycling project for myself. I got a little burned out on my rotation of dresses and decided to do something different this time. 

Way back in September, I shared a couple of potential vintage upcycling projects with you. And as life happens, I didn't get to work on all of them right away. I thought if ever a time to tackle this bold yellow number, summer is it!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Before:

Below is the entry from my original blog post, the before photo, and the results! 

I know yellow is not for everyone; but while I have a summer tan, I thought if I'm ever going to sport it, now's the time. This 70's era vintage jumpsuit was sent to me by a dear friend for the very reason that I might find the potential in what it could be. I am intrigued by it's possibilities and the creative part of me is taking on the challenge of transforming it. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Project:

I normally am a fan of a good jump suit, especially for easy summer dressing. With this one, the gathering at the waist was just not working plus the bold yellow color from head to toe was a little overwhelming. 


After some deliberation, what I thought would be a more complicated project had a surprisingly simple solution. I just decided to cut it apart and refinish it into 2 separate pieces. I had some other soft yellow remnants that I incorporated and I thought it would further help to break up the bolder yellow color.   

------------------------------------------------------------

After:

The result is a bold 2 piece outfit that can easily replace a dress for a fun summer event! Showing just a little peek of skin breaks up the bold yellow and makes this look more flattering. The crop tops of the 60s have come back in a major way and can be super chic if worn right (just keep the rest of the look less revealing).


The top is comfy and can be worn with a regular bra, which is great if your dancing the night away! 



Also the pants are super floaty and fun, it's almost like wearing a simple pull on skirt. 

Another great result of this project is that I now have 2 great pieces to work with! The pants were adjusted to be worn with a lower heel or flats. This way I can also use them for different looks like the casual one below. I pair my favorite chambray shirt with everything! It's a good neutral piece to counter the bold yellow. 



I also like the idea of pairing them with a simple black top! Easy breezy...

It's nice sometimes to take a little time to transform something for myself! Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your week friends!
xo,
     Erin 

Follow along the journey of ErinElsie and *Textile*Repurposed*Style.* Subscribe by email in the sidebar of my blog or sign up for Bloglovin!
Follow on Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment