Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Clothes with Stories, Sewing with Soul




Greetings! I'm getting a little sentimental today... 

On my last trip home, I started to help my mom organize this hug box of old family photos. There's a something nice and nostalgic about a time when we actually did have to print out our photos and I miss that! I want to try and preserve as many of those as I can and this was step one.
Spending time with so many old family photos, and being home in general, makes me miss my grandmother. If you're a new reader on my blog, her name was Elsie and I feel lucky to have been able to spend time with her while growing up. I love the below photo I found of her with my grandfather, A.J. I never got to know him, but loved hearing about him from my mom and maw-maw. I love that this photo is on their old property in Thibodaux, LA and has Bayou Lafourche peeking in the background.  

Elsie inspired my clothing label, and what it represents. The idea of new things, created and inspired by older things - clothes with stories and sentiment. In the world today where we are bombarded by so many chain stores and endless options for your clothing needs, I long to keep my wardrobe special and to create items that my customers will hold special. Some may say, "It's just clothes," but to me it is so much more than that!
When I returned from my trip home to Louisiana, I was unpacking and trying to organize my tiny closet. If you don't live here in NYC and think you have a tiny closet - I bet mine could make you feel so much better about yours - it's seriously tiny! This old dress I made years ago fell out from the back; it made me so happy to rediscover it, especially since Elsie has been on my mind. The more I got into sewing growing up, the more she would give me a few pieces of fabric at a time from here closet full of vintage fabric. It was special to me that I knew she had this closet full of fabric and she would choose certain pieces to give me at a time. The green details on this particular dress were one of those pieces. The other more neutral fabric was from an old skirt in disrepair, passed on to me by a friend who thought I would love the fabric. 



It is now a dress with a story, and a sentimental one at that. A unique piece with my grandmother close to my heart. 
I also feel like I've been gravitating to green lately - perhaps inspired by the lush spans of green all over my hometown and also in my Brooklyn neighborhood! 

Current project - more green :)

Okay, back to work for me! Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your week friends!
xo,
     Erin 

Follow along the journey of ErinElsie and *Textile*Repurposed*Style.* Subscribe by email in the sidebar of my blog or sign up for Bloglovin!
Follow on Bloglovin



No comments:

Post a Comment