Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Hey September! An Upcycyling Project Sneak Peek + My Charming Weekend Travels

Happy September!

Depending on where you live, September can be a weird time - when you are itching to break out some fun fall clothes but it's still just too hot...We are experiencing that kind of weather here in New York, and as per usual, I am busy trying to balance my freelance life and growing ErinElsie. Although I am super excited about some of my new fall pieces, it will be a little while before those are ready to share. In the meantime, here's a sneak preview of a few upcycling transition piece projects that I am working on now. Appropriately inspired by this weird time of weather. Stay tuned for the transformative results in some future posts! 


The Super 80's Jewel Tone Floral
Ok, ok, I know what you're thinking, but all I see is potential! This is a before photo of a thrifted dress. If I were tall, it could probably be worn as is and look super chic, but on me - it's a bit much. It's also just a little confining to wear in it's current state. The print, however, is great - a rich palette of jewel tone florals that I absolutely love for fall. Transformation in progress...

The Unflattering Yellow Jumpsuit
I know yellow is not for everyone; but while I still have a summer tan, I thought if I'm ever going to sport it, nows the time. This vintage jumpsuit was sent to me by a dear friend for the very reason that I might find the potential in what it could be. I am intrigued by it's possibilities and the creative part of me is taking on the challenge of transforming it. Hopefully I'll be able to report back with good results very soon... 

My Uncle Mike's Hawaiian Shirt
My Uncle Mike sent me one of his old Hawaiian shirts. It's pretty fun when friends and family send me things, although it can be a little nerve racking cutting up those things. I'm not sure why, but I enjoy transforming old men's shirts. I originally took one apart a couple years ago to learn about the construction and those pieces turned into a dress! I've been hooked ever since. The pattern is actually looking quite beautiful in dress form. I hope Uncle Mike is proud of these results. We shall see...

Also, we ended August with a quick getaway to the Connecticut shoreline for Labor day weekend with family. We enjoyed some beach R&R time in Westbrook and also spent a day exploring Essex. Most of these towns are drenched in history and Essex is no exception. It was charming and patriotic, quite perfect for commemorating this historical holiday. 


Peaceful times at the beach!

As a South Louisiana gal a heart, I have a lot of respect for a place that can deep fry some fresh seafood. Hat's off to Bill's Seafood in Westbrook. A standout was this fried softshell crab sandwich- yum :) 

The top spot in Essex was The Griswold Inn; a restaurant, inn, and pub as interesting as it is old. The inn originally opened in 1776! It's certainly one to put on the map if you're ever in the area. Click over to the Griswold's site to learn more about it's history and see images of the awesome interior:http://www.griswoldinn.com/

My man enjoying his Revolutionary Ale on his birthday at the Griswold.  

Strolling the patriotic main street of Essex

Sailboats parked in the Connecticut River

Quite charming indeed! 

Ever wondered in more detail how Labor Day actually began? I did, and it's probably a little more complicated than you thought - here's a link with some interesting info if you'd like: http://www.history.com/topics/holidays/labor-day
 
Thanks for following along and be well everyone!
xo
 -Erin


http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow along on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment