Thursday, May 21, 2015

1 Super 80's Dress Upcycled into 3 new Pieces


1 Super 80's Dress Upcycled into 3 New Pieces


Greetings!

I hope you all are well. I am currently covered in fabric remnants and thread, and loving it! I'm working on a whole new slew of garments, have one of my first little boutique retail deals pending, and I'm excited (and exhausted!) about what's ahead!  

Way back in September, I shared a couple of potential vintage upcycling projects with you. And as life happens, I didn't get to work on all of them right away. Well I did tackle this floral 80's number, so I thought I'd share the results! 

Before:

Below is the entry from my original blog post, the before photo, and the results! 


Ok, ok, I know what you're thinking, but all I see is potential! This is a before photo of a thrifted dress. If I were tall, it could probably be worn as is and look super chic, but on me - it's a bit much. It's also just a little confining to wear in it's current state. The print, however, is great - a rich palette of jewel tone florals that I absolutely love for fall. Transformation in progress...


After:

I didn't finish this in the fall as I had planned, but I think that jewel tones are universally flattering on lots of skin tones and season-less. I think this floral transitions right into Spring beautifully. I ended up creating 2 tops and a headband from the remaining piece of fabric. It's pretty fulfilling when there are zero scraps from a sewing project. I truly hate to waste awesome vintage fabric as I always just have a small limited amount. 


Jewel Tone Side Tie Crop Top

I pretty much remade this piece inspired by the top of the original dress, but with a few changes to keep it modern. The shoulders and neck still feel a little 80s, but it's more sleek as just a lone top. It is entirely open on the sides with ties that you can secure however you like. There is a zipper up the back. I've become a huge fan of the crop top and glad that the perception doesn't always have to be trashy. The key is proportion and pairing it up in a chic way!  

Shop this Top! 


Jewel Tones Floral Tie-Back Top

The style of this top is a complete departure from the last top. It has an easy fit, with a gently flattering drape away from the body. I always let the fabric drape and "speak" to me. When I removed the whacky bottom from the original dress, I immediately saw this breezy top. I also added a few details with reclaimed gray denim and lace, and a tie in the back. These details help to break up the print and keep it from feeling overwhelming.  



And lastly, I loathe the thought of wasting even the smallest amount of vintage fabric. I was able to create this sweet reversible headband as a result of that! That beautiful jewel toned print on 1 side and gray reclaimed denim on the other. You can also fold it in half for a thinner width and a different look. 



And there you have it! I love giving old things new life, and salvaging great fabric.  Okay, I'm going to keep on keeping on! Thanks for visiting! Have a lovely weekend!

xo,
     Erin 


Follow along the journey of ErinElsie and *Textile*Repurposed*Style.* Subscribe by email in the sidebar of my blog or sign up for Bloglovin!
ErinElsie

✰ Website: http://www.erinelsie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment