Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Repurposing Project: My Uncle Mike's Hawaiian Shirt = A Sleek, Modern Dress

As mentioned a few posts ago, I've been working on a few transition repurposing projects, uniquely inspired by this weird time of weather. (You can read that original post here http://erinelsie.blogspot.hey-september-upcycyling-project-sneak). I've finished one of them and I'm excited to share a little about that process and the results. 
 
In case your wondering, that's a tape measurer in the photo above. It seems to be my biggest accessory these days. This one in particular was my grandmother's and I love the idea that I use this item almost every day that was hers. It's a little way to still feel connected to her.


When my Uncle Mike unexpectedly sent me one of his old Hawaiian shirts, I was immediately inspired by that sentiment as well as the vivid print of this shirt. I really love a good vintage Hawaiian shirt and the one he sent me did not disappoint! I might generally do something a little more frilly with a tropical print, but the fabric of the shirt was thicker than usual and the way it draped lent itself to a more modern look. 

The back of the original shirt's print was like a mural, and that further inspired the direction of the dress- that part became the front. I reshaped the sleeves and the silhouette to create an A-line shape. The  shirt collar became a little kicky detail on the back of the skirt.   

I know it's technically fall now, and I love that this tropical print is sort of dark and stormy. The sleeves and the simple shape help it transition into a season-less dress. I can definitely see rocking this with a leather jacket and booties on cooler days. 



A big shout-out to my Uncle Mike for sending me his old shirt, and thanks to all who are following along on my creative journey! I hope you've picked up a little inspiration along the way. 

All the best,
-Erin
Follow along on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment