Friday, August 22, 2014

A Tale of Two Great Transition Pieces, One Great Print, and Making the Best of the Things You Cannot Change!


Happy Friday! 



The creative process, much like life, rarely ever goes as planned, and I suppose that's why it's called a creative process. I'll often have something in mind when I first find fabric, and then when I begin to work with it, the design usually goes in a completely different direction. 

When I first found this vintage skirt, I grabbed it right away. I was intrigued by the rich, bold print and the large panels of fabric (nearly 5 yards in one skirt - for those that don't know, that's a lot for one skirt!). The skirt construction was not great and initially I thought I'd just repair it and perhaps wear it myself. When I finally got around to working on it, as I stretched out the large panels I really fell in love with the unique print and felt like it should be put into pieces that could really make the most of it. There was such a large amount of fabric put into the skirt, it actually did this print a disservice and this became an inspiring project for me. 




I had enough fabric to make 2 pieces and I'm really excited about the final results. Both pieces are basically canvases for the bold print that will transition you perfectly into fall. They are also super versatile, an easy fit, and one generous size. 

The shape of this dress is much like the flapper dresses that liberated the ladies in the 1920s, just ramped up with this modern tribal print. I feel like it captures that flapper spirit - easy to move in and simple yet still feminine.   

 *There are hidden, optional side ties. You can wear the dress boxy and free or use the ties to cinch the waist in various ways. 

For more info and to shop, click here

Kimono style tops are a trend that will remain a season-less staple in my wardrobe. Wear it over your swimsuit now and then with booties and jeans in the fall. This is definitely one of my favorites. The print leaves no boring angles to this kimono. 



For more info and to shop click here

I love being able to bring new life to awesome fabric and embracing wherever the creative process takes me. And much like I never know where the creative process will take me, I also never know where life will take me. Today I am blogging to you from the Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport. I'm wrapping up a freelance gig and my original 9:45 am flight was cancelled and I must wait until 5:50 pm to fly back to NYC! One perk of this tiny airport, free wifi and the employees are super nice - true southern hospitality. One downside, it's a tiny airport so there are not many options when your original flight is cancelled. The barista in my current coffee shop is taking great care of me. Her genuine kindness really helped to subside my initial frustration,  and I I am at peace with just trying to make the best of it all. At least I'll have plenty of time to read through the fashion magazines I picked up (I'm a sucker for those giant fall issues), and to dive into my current book. 

 Hope you all have a lovely weekend ahead and hopefully I can make it home and start mine soon!

xo
 -Erin

http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow along on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment