Wednesday, April 2, 2014

My bag runneth over...with print-spiration :)


My bag runneth over...with print-spiration!


Recently, I was able to get together with some Fashion Merchandising students from my alma mater, currently on an exploratory New York City trip(Louisiana Tech I love thee!) At first, talking with seniors and juniors currently in college made me feel a little old and slightly intimidated. I was relieved to find them captivated and interested in hearing about my journey since my days at Louisiana  Tech. I felt sort of like a temporary rock star just for surviving here and going for my dreams - and sometimes that little pat on your shoulder is just what you need. I hope in some way their chat with me was inspiring and will encourage them to work hard and go for what they want; but more importantly I hope they know that they inspired and revived me. I think we sometimes feel so anxious or focused on the future, we forget to take a little moment to acknowledge how for we've come.  

  After our chat, the sun came out and the temperatures were slightly warmer. I found myself enjoying my free afternoon of solitude, strolling the streets in a part of town a little foreign to me. That is truly one of my favorite things to do in New York- wander. In the hectic everyday, we don't always get to, we just commute from place to place and then home. 

 To my delight, I came upon a huge thrift store - one of my favorite places to wander! Luckily I have disciplined myself to take only as much as I can carry, because I found some really great hidden gems, along with a sale- very dangerous for a thrifter like me! When I find something with great fabric and/or print and I'm instantly inspired by the possibilities- I have to have it. I left with a bag full of awesome pieces and a mind full of inspiration! It's a huge part of why I do what I do- making every item special, with a story that goes beyond the design. 














Stealing this top for myself ;)



                                "Not all who wander are aimless" (Mona Lisa Smile, 2003)




Certainly an inspiring day all around! Now back to work for me! 

Cheers friends, 
xo
 -Erin 
http://www.erinelsie.com

Follow me on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer
Follow my "Remnants" blog onTumblr: http://erinblank.tumblr.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment