Sunday, August 19, 2012

Small Island, Big Inspiration

Small Island, Big Inspiration - exploring the east side of Kauai

 After 2 days of intense hiking, a beach and shopping day was definitely in order. This time I mapped out a few spots on the east side of the island that had street cred with local residents. I ended the day with some incredible finds and loads of inspiration- I couldn't be happier.

 My first stop was a lovely fabric store called Kapaia Stitchery. Most of the fabric here was either made in Hawaii or Japan. One corner of the store was filled with clothing made by local artists. My favorites were little baby Hawaiian shirts - so adorable! I walked out with a few souvenirs and a yard of awesome fabric in a vintage Hawaiian print. We are going to make throw pillows for our sofa from all of our travels.    

Adorable little Hawaiian shirts!

Kapaia Stitchery




Fabric for my pillow :)

 Next in my journey was Ho'omana Thrift Shop. Don't be fooled by its humble appearance. This place was perfect for my treasure hunting. Rows and rows of handmade, vintage Hawaiian dresses in unique prints. I was excited to hear that I would receive 1/2 off by making a small donation to a local children's charity. It's a good thing that I have limited luggage space and money, or I would have walked out of there with a pile of things!


 
Rows and rows of awesome vintage dresses!

I found so much inspiration and silhouette ideas- check out this cute cropped top!

Some of my vintage finds- I can't wait to get my hands on these!
 


My last stop was the Kauai Products Fair. There were so many items here, but it felt a "smidge" to touristy for me. Luckily we stumbled upon great coffee shop, Small Town Coffee, that displayed local art and sold locally made products. We sipped on refreshing ice coffees while checking out all this shop had to offer. See below!



Small Town Coffee

Kind of hard to see in my photos, but the chandeliers were made of pots and coffee mugs.

Yummy ice coffee. Under the glass on the tables were old family photos from the owners. This made the shop feel very personal a cozy.

One if my favorite finds here, reversible bags made of recycled tee shirts.  

In the back of this coffee shop was a small bookstore called Blue House Booksellers. To make a purchase at this store, you write your item down and leave cash in the this little box(disguised as a book).


It was an awesome day as I love being inspired by new places and people I meet on the way. Hope you enjoyed reading about my little journey. 

Mahalo, 
 -Erin

-------------------------------------

KAPAIA STITCHERY

3-3551 Kuhio Highway
Lihue, HI 96766
(808) 245-2281

Ho'omana Thrift Shop,  
4531 Kuamoo Road
Kapaa, HI 96746 
(808) 821-2818

Kauai Products Fair
Fair Location: 4-1613 Kuhio Hwy, Kapaa, HI 96746
Mailing Address: 3416 Rice Street, Lihue,HI 96766
Phone: 808-246-0988
Fax: 808-245-7019
Email: info@thekauaiproductsfair.com


Small Town Coffee/ Blue House Booksellers
http://www.smalltowncoffee.com/Small_Town_Coffee/Home.html

Tee Shirt Bags
http://www.seethatfly.com/See_That_Fly/Home.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment