Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Reduce, Reuse, UPCYCLE! My Latest Project: 2 Old Men's Shirts = 1 New Shirt Dress


2 Old Men's Shirts = 1 New Shirtdress 


Greetings!

I can't believe it's almost August already! It's definitely hot here in NYC and I have been living in comfy and cool dresses. I normally gravitate towards flow-y bold prints and color with my materials, but when my husband handed over some old shirts he was discarding, I was inspired to do an upcycling project for myself with a little more polish.  


The Project:

I don't currently own tailored shirtdress, so I decided to create one! 


I had a blue shirt and a white one, so I decided to go with a color blocked design. Keeping blue on the bottom, I was thinking it might be a little more flattering and would wear over time better than the white would. I sewed the pieces together with French seams, which give the overall dress some structure for a clean and crisp look!


The Result:

I'm really happy with the result! It's such a sleek and versatile piece; a blank canvas to change up with so many different accessories. Here I've photographed it with one of my best vintage clutch finds and a staple in my wardrobe for this summer- It's leather, made in Italy, and only cost me $15 :)  






TIP: If you want to invest in some high quality accessories, but don't have a lot to spend, try some vintage shopping! For me, I love the thrill of the treasure hunt, the quality in which things were made in the past, and having a unique item that's not hanging in every department store in the country. If you're intimidated by a thrift store or a vintage shop, check out eBay online - I've found some great pieces on there.



You don't have to be an expert seamstress for a project like this, so it's a great beginner sewing project idea. Also, something like this would be a great way to preserve memories by using old shirts from a loved one! I hope I've added a little DIY inspiration to your week! 

Cheers,
     Erin 

Follow along the journey of ErinElsie and *Textile*Repurposed*Style.* Subscribe by email in the sidebar of my blog or sign up for Bloglovin!
Follow on Bloglovin

For info on Shopping ErinElsie and other Links:
✰ Website: http://www.erinelsie.com
✰ Instagram: https://instagram.com/erinblank_designer/
✰ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/ErinElsie/360147150720430
✰ Twitter: https://twitter.com/ErinElsie_Blank

No comments:

Post a Comment