Friday, November 7, 2014

A few good things from my October

Happy November!

 I hope everyone is having a good fall. I'm grateful to be back to working in my home studio this week. Here are a few other good things from my October:

 Going home...I went home to Louisiana for a family wedding and it was a good time per usual. The sugar cane behind my parents house was high, all the food was amazing, and the weather was beautiful.

My mom's crab stew...I could go on and on with the laundry list of awesome home cooked food I ate when I was home, but next to my dad's fried fish, my mom's crab stew was my favorite. She waited until I was home to cook this for me, and it did not disappoint - I ate it for three days. Yum! 

Treasure hunting... I love good shopping one on one time with my mom. This trip, I found a few thrift store treasures, some vintage inspiration, and some unique handmade items. 

Fall Festival at the Laurel Valley Village in Thibodaux   
Great vintage inspiration... Check out this awesome vintage Mardi Gras Tableau dress and headpiece at the Laural Valley store and museum. So much detail, and I love he bold color combinations- that's what festival wear is all about. 

 Discovering local emerging artists in Louisiana... At the festival, I also came across a gal, Lauren Rebert, making these most unique bags. As a maker, I love to see others doing interesting and innovative work. Lauren's accessories are called Fiber Chic and she makes them by tediously machine stitching together rope - quite impressive. She doesn't yet have a website, but I will surely keep you posted. My mom got me this one, and I can't wait to sport it. It's the perfect little, lightweight cross-body bag for cruising around New York in the Spring and Summer.  


 Great thrifting fabric finds... One was a very large and dated 2 piece leopard outfit- which for me means lots of yards of the perfect scaled leopard print cotton fabric. I've been wanting some leopard fabric to incorporate into a few upcoming fall floral looks so the timing was great. The second find was this dress with a Gerard Darel Paris label- pretty neat for a thrift store find. The shape was large and pretty matronly, but the fabric is great. It's a super lightweight wool, woven into this most vivid paisley print. I'm already working on transforming these, so stay tuned!

Getting out of town...This past weekend my guy and I escaped to the Catskills for a little nature and one on one time. It was the perfect combination of taking in the sights and enjoying doing absolutely nothing! The leaves were literally falling while we were there, and I'm grateful we got to catch this most beautiful fall time. 

Fireplaces...We stayed in a little cabin and the weather was perfect for enjoying the fireplace with a good glass of wine. I could have stayed so much longer!

Campfires...We enjoyed one night outside cooking our dinner over a campfire. 

Antiquing in upstate NY...I picked up this cute jar of vintage buttons to replenish my stash. I love vintage buttons and almost always use them in my work. 

Alright, back to work for me! Hope all is well and thanks for following along friends! 

All the best,
-Erin
Follow my ever day along on Instagram:@ ErinBlank_Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment