Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Special Day, Special Dress

Special Day, Special Dress!

...the dress I said, "I do" in, handmade with love!

Creating is more than a hobby for me, it is my life and my passion. I always want to create special pieces that people will cherish and that will stand the test of time. With this in mind, what could be more special than my own wedding dress? Me and my now husband are working very hard on our own creative businesses and dreams, and when we decided to say I do, we just wanted it to be a special, not-stressful, and meaningful day- that we can spend the rest of our life celebrating! We said our nuptials at the Manhattan courthouse with our parents and some of our siblings and then spent the day enjoying our family and this city that is so inspiring to us. 

The internet is flooded with countless wedding dress ideas and as I started to peruse I got quite overwhelmed. I knew I wanted to make it, and I decided to center myself by just hunting for fabric or a vintage garment that might inspire me, as this is my normal creative process. I found this vintage linen and lace caftan from the 70's in a bit of disrepair- a perfect canvas for me. I fell in love with the lace instantly as it was vintage and romantic, but had a really modern feel too. That is exactly the bride I wanted to me. I was immediately inspired. I banished all those Pinterest boards and just spent time with the fabric. I took the vintage piece apart and recreate my own dress - a little bit vintage, a little bit sexy, a little romantic, and unique - exactly what I wanted. I rarely take time to make something for myself anymore, and this was truly a labor of love! I also made my husband's tie with some of the linen from my dress - a perfect final touch! Another fun fact, the sleeves are removable! I hope these pieces can be passed along and cherished by our families. Every piece of handmade clothes has a story, and I just wanted to share a little bit with you all about this very special one!










 Thanks for following along and I hope your day and week is filled with love!

xo
 -Erin

http://www.erinelsie.com 
Follow along on Instagram: ErinBlank_Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment