Saturday, March 2, 2013

Hawaii on my mind and in my workspace...

Hello!

As I continue to work on my little spring/summer collection, I have begun to dive into all of the wonderful materials I collected during my August Hawaiian excursion. With this beautiful fabric strewn all over my apartment, I felt a little overloaded with ideas and unsure where to start. I spent some time reminiscing through photos from our trip and it helped me to re-focus my creativity. Hawaii has such a diverse landscape - so much more than just the initial tropical "beachiness" it gets stereotyped with. There are dark lava deserts, green ranch pastures, hidden waterfalls, and crazy big canyons. This discovery left a lasting impact on me and made the collection of these materials along the way all that more special to me. They are special and one of a kind, and the clothing and accessories I create with them will be equally as special.

***the current dress in progress***
       _______________________________________________________


 Some of my Hawaiian inspiration photos and fabrics:

Love the soft aqua color of the warm, amazingly clear water- good times!

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, Oahu.

 Material: Vintage Hawaiian shirt with soft, yet vibrant color
______________________________________________



 Dreamy green pastures and soft clouds in the mountains on the Big Island, so wonderfully unexpected...

 Waimea Canyon in Kauai

 Soft floral, a departure from the usual super bright Hawaiian florals.

A lava crater from the Big Island. 

__________________________________________________



Amazing color and such a diverse landscape, not a bad view to wake up to!

Beautiful vintage print, combining color much in the same way.
_________________________________________________



Striking blue skies!

Vintage fabric that I did not acquire on my trip, but was gifted to me by a cousin who bought it in Hawaii int he 70s. 

 One of the bungalows we stayed in. We woke up to our own little rainforest.

Hawaiian shirt, these flowers were everywhere :)
________________________________________________



Back roads of old Historic Hanapepe Town, Kauai

Huge Bamboo, from one of the best hikes I've ever been on in Kauai. 

Lovely, leafy green print. 

________________________________________________

In closing, I leave you with a photo from my favorite beach thus far- Secret Beach, Kauai.  

If you are new to my blog, check out some of my August posts from this trip, where I go into more detail on my hunt for materials. Below is the link to the first entry and there are many that follow!

Back to work for me and happy weekend to you!
 -Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment