Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Just go with it...

Happy Wednesday!

Hunting for materials, planning, designing, constructing and finishing can get overwhelming at times when you're a one woman operation. I usually work best when I work on more than one piece at a time, so I can jump to another project when I'm getting stressed out with the one at hand.

Recently, in an effort to get through some mental creative blockage, I decided to clean up around my workspace (yes mom, I do clean up occasionally). Since I am such an avid recycle-r of materials, not much ever really goes to waste. When I have tiny scraps of fabric, I save them to use as stuffing materials for pillows etc. This particular time in my fabric scraps I found one small piece of a special vintage print, and I couldn't bare just tossing it in my stuffing pile. I noticed two graphic diamond shapes; after staring at them a while it dawned on me- earrings! I've toyed with jewelry making in the past and did buy a pack of earring hooks with aspirations. I then plopped myself in front of a good movie and put the earrings together; making up the construction as I go. I thought they were neat, but bold and little quirky. I put them away for a few days, unsure and afraid to share them at first.

This past Monday, I sleepily got dressed for a very early morning freelance stylist gig. It was rainy outside. I threw my sneakers on, and felt my basic outfit was lacking a bit of creativity. For some reason as I was running out the door I thought about my crazy earrings and put them on. I thought whether people liked them or not, at least they'd distract from my sleepy face and boring outfit! Then to my surprise, I started to receive compliments and inquiries on them from the crew I was working with, as well as from folks on the street and in the little bodega where I sometimes pick up coffee. It's very meaningful when a NY stranger takes the time to stop and ask about your earrings...

When I got home, I felt energized and inspired. I began sifting through more of my fabric scraps and pulled out some great graphic prints. I was so excited to find a way to make the most of these awesome vintage prints and leather remnants. I also now have a great side project that I can work on when I need to walk away from a more involved clothing piece. I love when things sometimes just fall into place and you have no choice but to just go with it!
     
 The original prototype; the beads were from a broken necklace.

Some of my vintage fabric remnants

My mini-jewelry assembly line- yes, it's on my kitchen window sill, making the most of space here.

Thanks for taking the time to read about my journey.
Now back to work :)

-Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment