Thursday, October 11, 2012

Coffee Talk and Craftsmanship

Hello!
It's October already...wow, where does the time go. I have been quite the busy little bee.
It generally takes long days, many late nights, and lots of coffee for some of my clothing designs to be completely done. I am patient because I know that all the little details will be meticulously finished, and I am certain I would not be content with anything less. When my mom taught me how to sew, it was more than just a basic construction lesson. It changed the way I analyze clothes and the quality of the craftsmanship.   

My mom and I always love to shop together and still do. I think it was often just the two of us because not many others would not want to put up with our tedious critiques. Often, when I would pull something I like and show it to my mother, it would be followed by,"Erin, but the front is all sewn crooked" and then me "Oh yeah, your right mom." I use to find these moments annoying at times during my teenage years, but in hindsight I am so grateful for this type of education. Another big pet peeve is when certain items were overpriced without lining or proper under-construction. In most cases, these 2 aspects have everything to do with how something looks, fits, and feels against your body.

Our fitting room sessions could often turn into fit sessions. If we loved something enough, and thought it was a great deal for the price, we would be content to actually purchase it and alter it slightly to be perfect. Women often complain that "nothing fits" when shopping for certain items, but often this is really true. Clothing manufactures, although they try, cannot accommodate every person out there. Every body type is different, and so every item you try on may not fit you perfectly. Find a good tailor, make a few minor adjustments and you'll see the difference. Also, if you ever have the opportunity, collaborate on something custom made for yourself. Nothing beats something tailored made specially for you. Then you'll have a one-of-a-kind garment you can pass down to your family.

At my previous corporate fashion job here in in NY, I was responsible for the overall fit and look of each and every garment we produced. I saw all this past life experience come full circle. Now, I am pouring ALL of this knowledge and experience into my own work. I am as passionate about the inside of each garment as I am the outside, and I hope that comes through in my work.

Here's a sneak preview of one of my latest projects- inside and out. A big thanks to my dear friend Jessica for sending me a box of vintage materials with this awesome, inspiring print! Other materials in this dress include more fabric from a vibrant, purple linen jacket and and a few pieces from a leather jacket.
 
 About to sew down the front bodice lining

Still trying to decide how dramatic the sleeves should be...

Slightly stressful learning experience: Inserting an industrial zipper from an old leather jacket into a a dress. Mission accomplished!

Stay tuned for the the finished piece! To find more of my work, check out my website at http://www.erinelsie.com/ and click on the Shop the collection link.

Cheers!
 -Erin
      

No comments:

Post a Comment