Monday, October 29, 2012

Hunkering down...and eating!

As we brace for Hurricane Sandy here in New York, it brings back many childhood memories for me. Growing up in south Louisiana, the threat of hurricanes was just part of life. I feel very grateful, that instead of just remembering the destruction and hardship these storms can bring, my memories are mostly of quality time with my family and good eating. Our busy everyday lives were halted, and we spent the dark hours under a little battery powered light playing cards, eating gumbo, making crafts. Post storm, if we were still without electricity, we'd clean out the freezers, and get together with neighbors for big cookouts. Not exactly canned goods, but really good food- fried fish, bar-b-que, etc.

In one particular memory, my maw-maw(she often stayed with us during hurricanes) brought over a bag of old yarn, strings, and ribbons to me. To some, it may not sound like the most exciting treat, but for me it certainly was. I dumped it all out on the living room floor under the little battery powered light, and made all sorts of necklaces and bracelets during the duration of the storm. Not much has changed with me. There's something quite nice about staying in with the one you love, cooking good food, getting to work on my many sewing projects, and not feeling the pressure to be out and about in the city.

Since I seem to be doing more eating than sewing, I thought I'd share some of the tasty menu:

Breakfast potatoes with green pepper, onions, garlic, butter, cheese, bacon + Fried Eggs

Homemade Black bean salsa 

Wine

French Onion soup- made with rich homemade beef stock  

Oh...and more wine :)
 And it's only 5 pm here...


Hunker down and stay safe wherever you are!

Sincerely,
-Erin



1 comment: