Thursday, August 16, 2012

Made in Hawaii


Aloha!

My first thrift store adventure in Kauai was at Kokua Thrift Shop on the west side of the island, in the historic village of Hanapepe. It is only open on Monday mornings from 9:00 a.m. to noon. We arrived at the airport in Kauai on Monday, and I was determined to check out this little shop. After strolling around the village, an employee from the local Talk Story bookstore (the western-most secondhand bookstore in the United States) kindly directed me to the thrift shop and I made it by 11:15. Kokua thrift shop is operated by gracious volunteers from Hanapepe United Church of Christ, and all earnings go to support local charities. To my excitement, most items were priced $2.00 or less! I found some yardage of vintage fabrics, printed in Hawaii, as well as some incredible cotton Hawaiian shirts, also made on the island. The prints are so great and I can't wait to repurpose them into something new when I get back to work!






After shopping, we stopped for lunch at a very cozy coffee shop, Little Fish Coffee.


Mahalo,
 -Erin

KOKUA THRIFT SHOP (808) 335-5135
Kokua Thrift Shop Info 

Little Fish Coffee
Little Fish Coffee Info

Talk Story Bookstore  
http://www.talkstorybookstore.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment